Saturday, January 27, 2007

A Long Time Coming...

Today will be a day remembered as a momentous day in the continuing saga of Courtney's Woodworking Adventures. Today I purchased a 10" Delta Hybrid Saw w/30" BIESEMEYER® Commercial Fence System, Rail and Table Board. This is to say I bought a very nice table saw.


I purchased it from Woodcraft, where I must say I received fantastic service from three different individuals. I spent over 3 hours in the store! I had a bit of a time deciding between the huge Jet 10" 3hp Cabinet Saw with a 52" table and the above saw. The smaller foot print along with the smaller price tag (with mobile base difference it was over $700 less expensive to go with the Delta) made the decision an easy one.

Getting it out of the truck was a bit of a challenge just given its size and weight.

Assembly took over 6 hours, the manual says 2-3 hours; there is just no way you could put that saw together in that amount of time unless you had put one together before, and then it would be a challenge. While it is not hard to put together, there are a lot of pieces that must be put together just right. Precision is important to this tool, it is the whole point of the tool you might say!

Once assembled it worked amazingly well. I made a few test cuts with the blade that came with it, I have not put on the Freud blades that I purchased with it yet. Given it was after 10.30 p.m. when I started the saw and I live in a sub-division, I am very glad it is a relatively quiet saw. The cuts were just shy of perfect, and I only say they were not perfect is because perfection is just not attainable, even if you can't find a flaw in the subject.

Tomorrow I will put it through some more tests and we will see how it performs, I have even higher expectations now than before I purchased this gem!

Wanna Be Wood-Worker & Accomplished Saw-Dust Generator,
Courtney

No comments: